Take the Struggle to the White Areas
Make the whole of South Africa ungovernable! Paralyse apartheid!
THE BATTLE LINES ARE DRAWN:
- Over the past year we have confronted the evil system of apartheid on a scale unheard of in the of our struggle.
- In resolute action we have made many parts of South Africa ungovernable and - smashed the apartheid system of government in the African ghettoes and are evolving our own rudimentary organs of people's power - we have engaged in mass action around all issues affecting us despite enemy brutality.
- We have created combat groups and mobile units to defend ourselves and our leaders by confronting the racist army, police, death squads, agents and stooges in our midst.
- By using all forms of struggle we have thrown Botha and his clique into confusion.
OUR GOAL IS CLEAR: To destroy the system of apartheid colonialism and establish in its stead a democratic, non-racial system in which The People Shall Govern!
THE ENEMY IS DESPERATE:
- Botha and his generals have resorted to martial law and full-scale repression against all anti-apartheid forces - mass murder, arrests, bannings and so on - in an attempt to cow us into submission.
- At the same time the regime is doing all it can to confine our struggle to the Black areas and protect the comfort of Whites, which is a result of our oppression and super-exploitation.
The time has come to take the war to the White areas. White South Africa cannot be at peace while the Black townships are in flames.
TAKING THE WAR TO THE WHITE AREAS MEANS:
- Strengthening our workers organisations and engaging in united action in the factories, mines, farms and suburbs.
- Spreading the consumer boycott to all areas of the country.
- Organised and well-planned demonstrations in the White suburbs and central business districts.
- Forming underground units and combat groups in our places of work and taking such actions as sabotage in the factories, mines, farms and suburbs, and disrupt the enemy's oil, energy, transport, communications and other vital systems.
- Systematic attacks against the army and police and the so-called area defence units in the White areas
- Well-planned raids on the armouries and arms dumps of the army, police, farmers and so on to secure arms for our units.
In this work White democrats and all anti-apartheid Whites have a special role to play.
- We have to participate in even larger numbers in mass action in the White areas hand-in-hand with the mass democratic movement.
- We should spread the voice of democracy far and wide through our anti-apartheid organisations and win over as many Whites as possible to the side of freedom and non-racialism.
- We must intensify our campaigns against conscription, repression, the tri-cameral system, racist education and the mass carnage by the army and police in the townships.
- Those who serve in the apartheid parliament and claim to stand for democracy must abandon the illusion that apartheid can be changed from within - their place is in the democratic movement.
- Within the army and police we must refuse to shoot our fellow countrymen, and turn our weapons against the sadists who order us to kill and to maim.
- We must throw in our lot with the fighters for liberation by swelling the ranks of the ANC and Umkhonto We Sizwe underground.
The issue today is not whether or not freedom for the people will come. The question is on which side you should be - whether to perish with apartheid or to live with the forces of democracy and peace. Let us all Act in Unity against a system that has brought so much suffering to so many, and that continues to drown thousands in blood.
WEAKEN THE ENEMY'S REAR! PARALYSE APARTHEID'S NERVE CENTRE!
MAKE THE WHOLE OF SOUTH AFRICA UNGOVERNABLE!
[This leaflet was distributed inside South Africa in the latter half of 1985]